Sunday 24 October 2010

Biometrics in the Tanning Salon?



The days of passwords, ID cards, and keys are becoming numbered because of the growth of biometrics. Biometrics authentication, as a definition, is used to define all methods for uniquely recognizing humans based upon one or more basic physical or behavioral traits. Last year I did some research on the growing number of business that are relying on biometrics measures rather than traditional forms.

The information that is collected from biometrics can be composed through facial recognition, fingerprint analysis, iris scans, and voice recognition. These methods are chosen because each humans face, voice, iris, fingerprint, and DNA is obviously distinctive. While doing this research, the only example that I had seen in real life was the IRIS scan that they had in major airports, specifically Heathrow.

What's interesting is that I went to the tanning salon this week, which I do about once every 5 years, and they had a biometric system in place. They took a fingerprint scan, which held all of your account, credit card, and purchase details. So, every time I walk into the salon, I place my finger on the pad, and the details about which bed I was in, how long I was there and who I am, all pop up on one screen. What is most bizarre to me is that the second place that I've seen this behind major international airports is the tanning salon.

This new age of biometric technology indicates that access to private files, bank accounts, medical records, security codes, and secure areas will no longer be protected by passwords, keys, and ID cards, instead fingerprints, iris, or any other method of biometrics will be used for identification. Some aspects of this makes me a bit nervous, especially in terms of privacy, but at the same time, it is also quite fascinating technology. I'm looking forward to seeing how quickly this type of technology is adopted.

No comments:

Post a Comment