Thursday 13 May 2010

Facebook Privacy Concerns

Facebook's privacy policy continually changes - so much so that it's rare that I can actually keep up what they are selling to advertisers about me and what they aren't. Nevertheless, Facebook still continues to receive heat for their privacy policy, especially after supposed important information had been leaked. And, to be fair, it is a bit disconcerting that even if you disable your profile, all of your information stays in their system. Trust me. Try it just for kicks.

I read an article in the New York Times this week about a group of students from NYU who have created diaspora, a privacy aware social networking platform. While in theory this sounds nice, I'm not sure how they'll make any money off it. Currently, the way that the majority of major social networking sites monetize is through CPC or CPM ads.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to learning more about it, and seeing what they come up with. Let's hope it's something new and disruptive in the social media world. Evolving business models are so interesting!

No comments:

Post a Comment